Skip to main content

Life skills learned from sport


Tonight I will be speaking at Furman University to a small group of exercise science students for career night.
I will share my 11-year extensive educational journey and how it got me to where I am today. I will also share some of my real world experiences and tips of owning your own business (and lessons learned along the way). 


It wasn’t too long ago when I was listening to experts discuss various professions in the fields of nutrition, exercise, health and fitness.

I always found career night to be a valuable opportunity to learn about interesting and sometimes not so interesting careers. 


My hope is to inspire the students to continue their education and to explore the many job opportunities out there. It's a great feeling to make a living from doing something that you love. 

My best advice to the students is not to stress about finding the perfect career. Let it find you. There is no right or wrong path to finding your dream job. Whatever you eventually end up doing in life for work, always stay true to yourself and do what you love.
If you pursue your passion, you will always be motivated to work.


On the topic of careers, I realize how important education/schooling is when searching for a job but to be honest, I developed many life/job skills from being a lifelong athlete.

  
Although my education has always been a high priority in my life, sport has given me many useful skills that I constantly apply to my work life. 


Skills gained from sport:


-Self-discipline and dedication
-No short cuts
-Patience
-Hard work ethic
-Learn from mistakes
-Healthy and active lifestyle
-Confidence
-Team work 

-Time management
-Setting goals
-Being a leader and teammate 
-Learning from others
-Sacrifices and priorities 
-Dealing with pressure and stress
-Constructive criticism 
-Focus and concentration 
-It’s not always about being the best