Skip to main content

Athlete spotlight: Ed Peirick - Cancer survivor winning the fight with triathlon



NameEd Peirick
Age: 66
City/State: Fitchburg, Wisconsin
Primary sportTriathlon
How many years in the sport: First triathlon was in 2002. Became serious in 2006. 
What Trimarni services have you used: Nutrition, long-time friendship

Qualified for 2015 IM Kona, celebrating with our home stay Ed. 


Karel's first IM Kona qualification. Celebrating with a Wisconsin IPA. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Describe your athletic background and how you discovered your current sport?


As I child, I always dreamed of being an athlete, but growing up in a large family on a dairy farm, I never had the opportunity to participate in team sports. So I started long distance jogging/running after college to stay in shape but never considered myself an athlete. Then later in my life, a neighbor friend encouraged my 14 year old son to do a sprint tri, teaching him the basics. My son enjoyed it and did very well so he continued to do more of them each summer. Watching & cheering him on gave me the incentive to participate too but I had to learn how to swim!! Like many other first timers, I "nearly drowned" doing my first sprint in 2002 but finished with enough feeling of accomplishment to want to continue doing them, especially with my son.

What keeps you training and racing in your current sport?

Several things. The challenge of setting tough goals, constantly learning, improving, personal achievements/recognition, meeting wonderful inspiring people, staying healthy and active, visiting other parts of the US, participating as an opportunity to raise money for cancer research/giving back, and forming long lasting personal friendships, inspiring others.

What do you do for work?

 Retired. Former CPA/Financial Exec.


How does your work life affect training and how do you balance work and training?

Doesn't apply to me but I marvel at those with full time jobs and their commitment to training.

Any tips/tricks as to how to balance work and training?

I'd say that you need a supportive crew (family, coaches, friends), organizational skills, motivation, and try not to skip the key workouts. Go to bed as early as you can so you can hopefully get some workouts in before family is up and you have to go to work.



Do you have kids?

Yes, 2 grown kids. And one beautiful grandchild.



Do you have a recent race result, notable performance or lesson learned that you'd like to share?

 Yes, so many!
#1- Ironman WI 2011. I's say it was the best "individual" day of my life. With the help of so many, including Marni, I achieved my goals, including raising over $10,000 for prostate cancer research, finished strong, feeling like a rock star in front of lots of friends, family and in my hometown of Madison.

#2- Branson 70.3 2013. First time event far away from "home" were I traveled alone, knowing this would be a very challenging event because of the bike course. I executed my plan perfectly, leaving it all out there and achieving a 1st place AG finish.

#3- Team USA 2015 Long Course World ITU Championship, Chicago IL. Never in my wildest dreams in my early years would I have thought I could possibly set a goal of qualifying for the USAT National Championships, much less qualifying for Team USA! But I achieved them all, including finishing 19th in the world in my AG at the Chicago finals. I also achieved USAT All American recognition for the year.

The lessons I learned were many including that one's body is amazing. Treat and train it right and it will perform at an incredibly high level. As Marni and Karel taught me, you must embrace the pain, thank your body and keep telling yourself that "you earned this", "you deserve to be here" and to "compete like the champion your are."


Another important lesson to always remember, all of us will experience adversity at some time in our lives. I've certainly had my share (cancer diagnosis, a house fire, broken collar bone bike accident). This much I have learned. Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down, then build you back up. Rather than looking for the "exit" sign when things don't go well or as planned, look for the "entrance" sign and the new opportunities it presents. Because if you do, you will be a winner and more of the person you were truly meant to be.

What are your top tips for athletes, as it relates to staying happy, healthy and performing well?
  • Your diet. Think of real food as the "real" medicine you need to get healthier and stronger.
  • Consider working with a qualified coach. Trust and communicate well with this person. 
  • Listen to your body. 
  • Work hard but rest even harder! 
  • Remember to work on your core strength, balance and stability (i.e. pilates).



How would you define athletic success as it relates to your personal journey?


Yes, my success is somewhat about achieving tough goals, including podium finishes. But it's also the rewards of having a healthier body, life style, personal relationships, inspiring others including my family, giving back and waking up excited with energy and happiness!

What's your favorite post-race meal, drink or food?
Blueberry whey protein smoothie.



What key races do you have planned in 2017?

White Lake Spring NC 70.3 in April. After month of a May vacation in France/Spain, I'll decide if there will be a "second" season for late summer or fall.

What are your athletic goals for the next 5 years?

At my age, I want to stay competitive and healthy. Anything more will be a bonus. I love this sport and what it has given me so I want to keep moving forward! "I know some day I won't be able to do this. Today is not that day!!!" 




This is a new weekly feature on the Trimarni blog where we will be shining the spotlight on one of our Trimarni athletes (coaching or nutrition) every week.
We hope that you will feel inspired by the spotlight athlete as you learn a few tips and tricks to help you reach your personal athletic and nutrition goals.
Our athletes are normal individuals choosing to do exceptional things with a healthy body.

-->