Skip to main content

Homemade waffles


I love waffles.....And pancakes.....And french toast.

I love breakfast foods.

As a lifelong swimmer, my morning would typically start very very early. I can remember many alarms being set for around 4:15-4:30am as I would need to make my way to the swimming pool for 5:00 or 5:30 am swim practice. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year....for about ten years in a row, I spent many of mornings in a dark, cold pool, following the black line for an hour or two in the morning, only to do it again in the afternoon.

You'd think that I'd be burnt out from swimming but I still love to swim. Although now I prefer a slightly later start for my swim workouts, shorter workouts (3000-4000 yards versus 7000+ yards) and water temperature around 80-82 degrees versus 78-80 degrees.

One of my favorite parts about my morning swim practice was the meal that came after the workout. With my appetite building as the yards went by, I couldn't wait to devour food (and lots of it) as soon as I returned home from the workout. Although back in my younger days I didn't care about ingredients and the nutritional value of what I was putting into my body as long as it was filled with carbs, I understand the importance of feeding my body with real food ingredients, with the right composition of macronutrients (protein, fat and carbohydrates) as much as possible. I'm not strict or obsessive with my diet but I do try to make the effort to eat real food as much as possible without being extreme or restrictive. And I despise food rules!

I was so excited to receive a waffle maker for the holiday as I love my daily morning waffle as my typical pre-workout snack. I spend a few dollars every week on waffles and I always tell Karel that it would be so much better if I could make my own waffles (like I do with my homemade pancakes). The only thing that was missing was a waffle maker but now that issue is solved thanks to Karel and I can make homemade waffles anytime I want!
I quickly went right to work with my first batch of waffles and they came out great. Cost effective, natural, wholesome and delicious. Stay tuned because I am so excited to try out more recipes and share them all with you.